The USS Constitution Museum invites you to explore family learning and assess where your institution is along the 10 Steps!
10 Steps to Encourage Family Learning
Families of all shapes and sizes are visiting our institutions in record numbers. Family learning in a museum takes place when two or more people (with an on-going relationship) walk around, look, converse, and engage in activities together. Conversation is key to encouraging family learning so the 10 Steps focus on elements of visitor services and exhibition offerings that will assist families in their personal engagement. Below is a list of the 10 Steps to consider if you want to foster family learning.
10 Steps to Encourage Family Learning at Your Institution
1. Get acquainted with your family visitors: How many are coming in?
2. Step into the shoes of your family visitor: How family friendly is your facility?
3. Check out your exhibitions: Are there effective elements for family interaction?
4. View your program schedule: What types of events do you offer for families?
5. Reread your institutional mission and goals: Are you ready to welcome families?
6. Consider your commitment: Are you willing to be a family learning advocate?
7. Observe your visitors: Find out what they already enjoy in your museum!
8. Practice a family-friendly perspective: Transform a program to attract families!
9. Revisit your exhibition: Try a new technique to engage all family members!
10. Reflect on your “family friendliness”: Strategize possibilities at your institution!